14-Year-Old Boy Dies After Eating Spicy Chip For Social Media Challenge

A Massachusetts teenager died final week after consuming an especially spicy chip for a social media problem, in response to his members of the family.

Lois Wolobah instructed The New York Times she was referred to as to the Worcester faculty of her 14-year-old son, Harris, on Friday as a result of he was unwell and wanted to go house.

She mentioned Harris was clutching his abdomen within the nurse’s workplace when she arrived. He indicated that he’d eaten a Paqui tortilla chip, which comprises two of the world’s spiciest peppers, as a part of the model’s “One Chip Challenge.”

He was taken house from faculty and reportedly fainted about two hours later. He was taken to the hospital, the place he died, his mom mentioned.

Harris’ father, Amos Wolobah, instructed CBS News’ WBZ that his son had no preexisting circumstances that they knew of. The household instructed the outlet he was a wholesome basketball participant with no identified allergic reactions.

The precise reason behind Harris’ loss of life shouldn’t be clear, and whereas his household believes the Paqui tortilla chip performed a job, that has not but been firmly established. A spokesperson for the Massachusetts Medical Examiner’s workplace instructed media {that a} reason behind loss of life is not going to be finalized for weeks. In the meantime, Paqui, a model primarily based in Austin, Texas, has mentioned it’s “working with our retailers to remove the product from shelves.”

“The pain our family is experiencing is unimaginable,” reads a GoFundMe submit arrange by Harris’ kin for funeral bills. “Harris was a light that lit up the room with his presence and subtle charm. He was an intelligent, quirky and incredibly talented young man who loved video games and playing basketball.”

“We are deeply saddened by the news report and express our condolences to the family,” a Paqui spokesperson mentioned in an announcement to The New York Times. “It would be inappropriate for us to speculate or comment further.”

Worcester Schools Superintendent Rachel Monárrez described Harris as a “rising star” in an announcement.

She mentioned the varsity is providing counseling and grief help to workers and college students.

Paqui’s chip comprises Carolina Reaper Pepper and Naga Viper Pepper, in response to the corporate’s web site.

MediaNews Group/The Mercury News through Getty Images through Getty Images

The “One Chip Challenge” had dared folks to eat a single spicy chip, which Paqui sells for $10, and to “wait as long as possible before drinking or eating anything” and submit the outcomes on social media.

The packaging warns that the chip is meant for adults solely, and never for anybody who’s pregnant or delicate to spicy meals, or who has meals allergic reactions or underlying well being circumstances.

As of Wednesday morning, Paqui’s web site for the problem had been up to date with a message reiterating that the problem is meant for wholesome adults solely.

“We have seen an increase in teens and other individuals not heeding these warnings,” the location says. “As a result, while the product continues to adhere to food safety standards, out of an abundance of caution, we are actively working with our retailers to remove the product from shelves.”

The firm mentioned it’s also providing refunds on the product.

Various iterations of Paqui’s problem have existed over time. On a number of events, school-aged kids have been hospitalized after consuming the chip.

Source link

Related Articles

Back to top button