These creamy and flavorful Mashed Turnips combined with Brussels sprouts and bacon redefine nutritious consolation meals. The turnips are exceptionally buttery, irresistibly tasty, and splendidly easy to organize.
A savory casserole of mashed turnips combined with sauteed Brussels sprouts and crispy bacon. It’s a superbly scrumptious but nutritious, low-carb Thanksgiving facet dish!
Why We Love Mashed Turnips
- Thrilling Variation: This recipe is a pleasant change from the same old, including a novel and attractive various to the vacation menu that may simply outshine the traditional potato dishes.
- Flavorful: These mashed turnips are further creamy and buttery, enriched with heavy cream and butter, making them a deliciously wealthy facet dish.
- Good for the Holidays: Very best for Thanksgiving, they supply a heat, comforting, and barely much less starchy choice.
What Are Turnips?
Turnips are a root veggie, just like potatoes, carrots, and rutabagas. Whereas bigger and older turnips might have a barely bitter style, youthful and smaller turnips have a nice taste that resembles contemporary cabbage. Small turnips are delicate and go very nicely with different flavors like butter, garlic, and bacon.
- Butter: You’ll want 2-1/2 tablespoons of butter, divided.
- Onion: Finely chop one small yellow onion, or substitute a white onion.
- Contemporary Garlic: Press or mince three cloves of garlic.
- Brussels Sprouts: This recipe makes use of two cups of thinly sliced Brussels sprouts.
- Turnips: You’ll want 2 ½ kilos of turnips, rinsed, peeled, and quartered.
- Heavy Whipping Cream: Whilst you can strive substituting half-and-half or milk, utilizing heavy cream right here actually provides richness and texture to the general dish.
- Salt and Pepper: Season to style.
- Bacon: I exploit about six slices of bacon, cooked to a crisp.
How To Make Mashed Turnips
- Fry the bacon. Then, take away crispy bacon from skillet; don’t discard bacon grease.
- Sauté. Soften 1/2 tablespoon of the butter within the skillet. Add onions, and cook dinner for two minutes. Subsequent, stir within the garlic and cook dinner for 20 seconds. Lastly, add the Brussels sprouts and proceed to cook dinner for 4 minutes, or till tender.
- Cook dinner the Turnips. Within the meantime, put the turnips in a stockpot and canopy them with chilly salted water. Deliver to a boil, and cook dinner for 10 to 12 minutes, or till very tender.
- Heat the Cream. Place the heavy cream, 2 tablespoons butter, salt, and pepper in a microwavable bowl or cup; cook dinner on HIGH for 1 to 2 minutes, or till butter is melted and combination is scorching.
- Mash. Drain the turnips completely and return to the pot. Mash with a potato masher, including the cream combination, till mixed and fluffy. Then fold within the Brussels sprouts combination and half of the bacon.
- Bake. Switch the combination to a greased baking dish. Bake at 350˚F for 20 minutes or till flippantly browned on prime. Take away from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Get pleasure from! High the completed casserole with the reserved bacon crumbles, and serve.
Recipe Suggestions and Variations
- Peel the Turnips: The pores and skin of turnips may be robust, which could have an effect on the feel of your dish. Peeling ensures a smoother, creamier consistency within the mashed turnips.
- Select the Proper Turnips: For greatest outcomes, select easy, unblemished turnips which are no bigger than a tennis ball. Bigger turnips could also be robust or bitter.
- Get Artistic: You may dial again the heavy cream and substitute cream cheese, yogurt, further butter, or no matter you’d like! Attempt including some extra toppings like chopped chives, thinly sliced scallions, or freshly chopped parsley for shade and taste.
- Prepping Sprouts: To prep the Brussels sprouts accurately, first take away them from the stem (if the sprouts are offered on the stem). Then wash nicely in a number of adjustments of water. Then, peel away any blemished outer leaves. Lastly, slice them into skinny shreds.
- To Make Forward: Merely make the turnip combination, omitting the bacon, as much as 24 hours forward. On the day of, stir half of the bacon into the turnips, and proceed with baking!
These mashed turnips go together with every part, from my Gradual Cooker Honey Mustard Glazed Ham, this Prime Rib, or Prompt Pot Turkey Breast to those beautiful Maple Glazed Carrots and Orange and Pecans Candy Potato Casserole.
- To refrigerate. Merely cowl the casserole tightly, or retailer in hermetic containers. Leftovers will preserve within the fridge for as much as 3 days or within the freezer for as much as 2 months.
- To reheat. Place leftovers in an ovenproof dish and bake, coated, at 350˚F till heated by means of.
Extra Low Carb Facet Dishes
Preheat oven to 350˚F.
Flippantly grease a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray and put aside.
Place the quartered turnips in a big saucepan or stockpot; cowl with water and add 1/2 teaspoon salt. Set the stockpot over medium-high warmth and produce to a boil; proceed to cook dinner at a gentle boil for 10 minutes or till very tender.
Drain the turnips, then return them to the stockpot and set them apart.
Within the meantime, cook dinner the diced bacon in a skillet set over medium warmth. Cook dinner till crispy, about 5 to six minutes. Utilizing a slotted spoon, take away bacon from the skillet; don’t discard the bacon grease. Set the bacon apart.
Set the skillet again over medium-high warmth and add 1/2 tablespoon of butter to soften. Add onions to the skillet and cook dinner for two to three minutes or till simply beginning to soften. Stir in garlic and cook dinner for 15 seconds.
Add shredded Brussels sprouts to the skillet and proceed to cook dinner for 4 minutes or till tender. Take away from warmth and put aside.
Place heavy cream, 2 tablespoons butter, salt, and pepper in a microwavable bowl or cup; microwave on HIGH for 1 to 1½ minutes, or till the butter is melted and the combination is scorching.
Mash the turnips with a potato masher, add the new cream combination to the turnips, and proceed to mash till mixed and fluffy.
To the turnips, add the Brussels sprouts combination and half of the bacon; stir to mix.
Switch the turnip combination to the baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes, or till flippantly browned and crispy on prime.
Take away from oven; let stand 5 to eight minutes.
High with reserved bacon crumbles.
- Peel the turnips for a creamier consistency. The pores and skin of turnips may be robust, and that may have an effect on the feel of the dish.
- Make the dish your individual; use much less heavy cream and blend in cream cheese, yogurt, or further butter. Stir in some chopped chives or thinly sliced scallions for a unique taste. For those who like a little bit of a kick, spice it up with some crushed pink pepper flakes.
- To make forward, make the turnip combination, omitting the bacon, as much as 24 hours forward. On the day of, stir half of the bacon into the turnips and proceed with baking!
- Retailer leftovers within the fridge for two to three days or freeze for as much as 2 months.
Energy: 202 kcal | Carbohydrates: 13 g | Protein: 4 g | Fats: 15 g | Saturated Fats: 8 g | Ldl cholesterol: 44 mg | Sodium: 504 mg | Potassium: 418 mg | Fiber: 4 g | Sugar: 6 g | Vitamin A: 567 IU | Vitamin C: 50 mg | Calcium: 70 mg | Iron: 1 mg
Dietary data is an estimate and supplied as courtesy. Values might fluctuate in keeping with the components and instruments used. Please use your most well-liked dietary calculator for extra detailed data.