This mushroom gravy recipe will take your mashed potatoes to an entire new stage! It is vegan, however even meat lovers will fall for its wealthy, savory taste.
I’ve had a mushroom gravy recipe on my listing to make for years. After making an attempt this one, all I can assume is, “What took me so lengthy?!” This mushroom gravy is wealthy, velvety, and full of savory taste. It’s completely vegan, but it surely’ll give any gravy made with meat or butter a run for its cash. Each time I make it, I at all times eat a couple of spoonfuls straight from the pan. It’s that good! Pour it over mashed potatoes as soon as, and also you’ll by no means wish to eat them some other approach.
Vegan Mushroom Gravy Recipe Elements
This mushroom gravy recipe comes along with a handful of primary components:
- Mushrooms, in fact! They add hearty texture and umami taste to this mushroom gravy recipe.
- Shallot and garlic – For sharp, savory depth of taste.
- Tamari or soy sauce – In case you’ve made my veggie burger or sautéed mushrooms, you recognize that I really like cooking mushrooms with tamari. It actually highlights their wealthy, savory taste. Soy sauce will work right here too, however be certain to make use of tamari when you want this gravy to be gluten-free.
- Rosemary and thyme – These herbs take this vegan mushroom gravy excessive! Their contemporary, fragrant flavors make it cozy and sophisticated.
- All-purpose flour – It makes the gravy good and thick. (See the recipe beneath for a gluten-free choice.)
- Vegetable inventory – It provides the gravy physique.
- Further-virgin olive oil – For richness.
- And sea salt and contemporary black pepper – To make all of the flavors pop!
Discover the whole recipe with measurements beneath.
This mushroom gravy reheats completely, so be at liberty to arrange it a day or two upfront. It thickens because it sits, so that you’ll possible must stir in an additional splash of water or broth if you heat it up. Add just a little at a time till the gravy reaches your required consistency. Season with salt and pepper to style, and luxuriate in!
Mushroom Gravy Serving Recommendations
This mushroom gravy could be a scrumptious addition to a Thanksgiving or vacation dinner. I like it with basic facet dishes like stuffing and roasted Brussels sprouts, however like all good gravy recipe, it’s finest with mashed potatoes. Spoon it over my conventional roasted garlic mashed potatoes, or attempt an out-of-the-box mash as a substitute. This vegan mushroom gravy could be an ideal topping for my mashed cauliflower or parsnip puree.
You probably have any leftovers, stir some cooked white beans into the gravy, pour it over creamy mashed cauliflower, and luxuriate in it as a meal by itself! In actual fact, I like this mix a lot that I make it for dinner all through the autumn and winter. Served with selfmade focaccia or crusty bread, it’s satisfying, wholesome, and comforting.
Extra Favourite Vacation Recipes
In case you love this recipe, attempt one among these vacation facet dishes subsequent:
And for extra tasty vegan recipes, take a look at this publish!
Stop your display from going darkish
Warmth the olive oil in a big skillet over medium warmth. Add the shallot and cook dinner till smooth, about 4 minutes.
Add the mushrooms and cook dinner till smooth, about 8 to 10 minutes. Stir within the tamari, garlic, thyme, and rosemary. Sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms and stir for 1 minute.
Add the broth and simmer till thickened, whisking usually, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to style.
Make this recipe gluten free: Omit the flour in step 2. On the finish of step 3, spoon a couple of tablespoons of the liquid right into a small bowl. Add 2 tablespoons cornstarch and stir till clean. Pour this combination again into the pan and stir till the gravy thickens.