Kevin Winter/Getty Photographs
Actor Christina Applegate has stayed largely out of the general public eye since she introduced she was recognized with a number of sclerosis in 2021. However she got here out at Monday evening’s Emmys to current the primary award, and was greeted with a standing ovation.
- Applegate is greatest referred to as Kelly Bundy from the long-running sitcom Married…with Kids — and got here to the stage on Monday evening to the present’s theme track — although she’s had a fairly extensive and assorted profession since.
- She memorably performed Veronica Corningstone in Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy, gained an Emmy for her visitor stint on an episode of Pals, and most not too long ago starred within the Netflix collection Lifeless to Me as an actual property agent whose husband has been killed by a hit-and-run driver (for which she was nominated for an Emmy on Monday).
Hello buddies. A couple of months in the past I used to be recognized with MS. It’s been a wierd journey. However I’ve been so supported by those who I do know who even have this situation. It’s been a tricky street. However as everyone knows, the street retains going. Until some asshole blocks it.
— christina applegate (@1capplegate) August 10, 2021
What is the huge deal?
- A number of sclerosis, also called MS, is an autoimmune illness the place the immune system assaults the central nervous system, which incorporates the mind and spinal twine, disrupting communication between the mind and the physique. Its signs embody weak spot, fatigue, persistent ache and problem strolling. There’s at the moment no treatment, however there are therapies that may sluggish its development. Signs can range extensively.
- Applegate hasn’t made many appearances since she went public along with her analysis. However on the Emmys, she confirmed her humorousness hasn’t gone wherever. As she got here up on stage to current the award for Greatest Supporting Actress in a Comedy, she grew to become visibly emotional earlier than jokingly telling the cheering crowd: “You are completely shaming me, with incapacity, by standing up.”
What are folks saying?
- The viewers response to Applegate was one of many highlights of Monday’s present, with folks’s appreciation for her persevering with into Tuesday. The Atlantic known as her look: “Probably the most truthful second of the Emmys.”
- Applegate has beforehand talked about taking day without work from filming the ultimate season of Lifeless to Me after getting her analysis. “I wanted to course of my lack of my life, my lack of that a part of me,” she advised The New York Instances in 2022. “Though it isn’t like I got here on the opposite facet of it, like, ‘Woohoo, I am completely tremendous.'”
Be taught extra: