If you happen to’re in search of one thing a bit of new and completely different to make for the vacations, function a facet dish for dinner and even brunch, then I’ve received the recipe for you.
These tacky scalloped candy potatoes are made with a creamy gouda cheese and chipotle chile sauce for a touch of warmth and smoky taste.
This recipe was impressed by Abra’s previous roommate Kiltie, or as we wish to name her Kilter Krocker. She’s mainly the savory model of Betty Crocker and ridiculously lovable. After Thanksgiving a few years in the past, Abra informed me about these fabulous smoky chipotle gouda scalloped candy potatoes that Kiltie made for his or her Friendsgiving get together.
I haven’t stopped fascinated by these candy potatoes since, so I recreated them with just a few slight tweaks they got here out amazingly scrumptious. Your subsequent facet dish in your Thanksgiving menu, maybe?!
FREE Final Thanksgiving Information (+ printable guidelines!)
Whether or not you’re internet hosting or simply attending, this Final Thanksgiving Information electronic mail sequence is for everybody. Enter your electronic mail under to get all of my finest recipes, suggestions, and a FREE printable guidelines for your whole Thanksgiving wants.
What’s the distinction between scalloped and au gratin potatoes?
Scalloped potatoes usually use cheese, cream and sliced potatoes. However, potatoes au gratin normally have cheese between every layer and breadcrumbs on prime; oftentimes in addition they are made with very thinly sliced potatoes. For my part, it doesn’t matter if you happen to name them candy potatoes au gratin or scalloped candy potatoes, as a result of they’re going to be scrumptious both method.
Every little thing you’ll must make these scalloped candy potatoes
You’re going to like how easy the elements are for this recipe. Candy potatoes, cheese, some chipotle chiles, and BOOM, you’ve received your self an epic facet dish. Right here’s every little thing you’ll want:
- Candy potatoes: we’re slicing up 3 giant candy potatoes into these cute little rounds.
- Butter & flour: you’ll begin by making your sauce with butter and flour, which is able to assist to thicken it up. Be happy to make use of gluten free flour to maintain the recipe gluten free.
- Milk: be at liberty to make use of any milk you’d like to present the sauce creaminess.
- Cheese: I really like how distinctive and scrumptious smoked gouda cheese makes these scalloped candy potatoes, however be at liberty to make use of shredded sharp cheddar for a extra conventional taste.
- Chipotle chiles: for an additional kick of smoky taste you’ll add the sauce from a can of chipotle chiles. It’s not spicy!
- Garlic: don’t overlook some contemporary garlic for added taste.
- Spices: we’re simply utilizing loads of salt and pepper to style to deliver out all the different flavors.
- To garnish: I wish to prime these potatoes with a bit of contemporary parsley.
Can I make them vegan or dairy free?
Certain! Be happy to make use of vegan butter, dairy free milk (I like cashew milk for this recipe for further creaminess), and your favourite vegan cheese to make this recipe each vegan and dairy free.
Jazz up your scalloped candy potatoes
There are just a few straightforward methods you may actually make these potatoes your personal! Right here’s what I recommend:
- Add bacon or ham. Make them further savory by including 6-8 ounces of cooked, chopped bacon or ham to the cheese sauce or onto the potatoes earlier than pouring the sauce.
- Change up your cheeses. As I discussed, be at liberty to swap the smoked gouda for a pointy cheddar and even your favourite spicy cheese. The chipotle chile sauce can be optionally available if you happen to’re not a fan of that smoky taste.
- Add a bit of crunch. If you’d like a crunchy topping, add some breadcrumbs and even crushed up Ritz crackers to the highest after pouring the cheese sauce.
Don’t overlook the following tips for au gratin or scalloped candy potatoes
- Evenly slice your candy potatoes. Do your finest to ensure your candy potato slices are even and about 1/8 inch thick in order that they prepare dinner evenly. A mandolin makes this tremendous straightforward!
- Don’t squish them. You don’t need the candy potato slices to be overly tight, so ensure you depart sufficient area so the slices are barely slanted.
- Shred the cheese. Do that by hand as an alternative of utilizing pre-shredded. It is going to soften a lot better as a result of pre-shredded cheeses include stabilizers.
- Season as wanted. Once you’re completed mixing collectively your gouda cheese sauce, remember to style it and add extra salt and pepper as you see match. Everybody has a barely completely different desire for saltiness, so that you be the choose and bear in mind it’s coating a lot of potatoes.
Methods to make scalloped candy potatoes
- Prep your candy potatoes. Slice 3-4 giant candy potatoes into 1/eighth inch thick rounds and layer in slanted rows in a greased 8×8 inch pan. You don’t need to pack them overly tight in order that they rise up in straight rows — slanted is finest!
- Make the sauce. Make your tacky gouda chipotle sauce by combining butter, flour and milk of alternative in a saucepan till it resembles a creamy gravy. Stir in gouda cheese and chipotle chile sauce then pour over candy potatoes. Cowl with foil and bake for 45 minutes or till candy potatoes are fork tender.
- High, bake & serve. Add a bit of extra cheese on prime, then broil till bubbly. Garnish the scalloped candy potatoes with parsley. Serve instantly!
Make them forward of time
You’ll be able to completely make these scalloped candy potatoes a day forward of time! Merely pour the sauce over the candy potatoes as directed, then cowl the potatoes with foil and as an alternative of baking, place within the fridge till able to bake.
Storing & reheating suggestions
- To retailer: merely retailer these scalloped candy potatoes within the fridge in particular person, hermetic containers or cowl all the pan and place it within the fridge. They’ll keep good for as much as 5 days.
- To reheat: reheat particular person parts within the microwave or place the pan again within the oven till heated by way of.
Extra wholesome facet dishes you would possibly like
Get all of my facet dishes right here!
If you happen to make these chipotle gouda scalloped candy potatoes, please take the time to depart a remark under and charge the recipe, it helps us and different readers know the way you favored the recipe. Thanks!
Chipotle Gouda Scalloped Candy Potatoes
Unbelievable chipotle gouda scalloped candy potatoes made with smoked gouda cheese and a kick of warmth from chipotle chile sauce. You may love this straightforward facet dish for vacation brunches, dinners, and extra! Simply gluten free and easy to make.
- For the candy potatoes:
- 3 giant candy potatoes, sliced into 1/eighth inch thick rounds
- For the sauce:
- 3 tablespoons salted butter (or sub vegan butter)
- ¼ cup flour (complete wheat, all goal, or gluten free 1:1 flour will all work)
- 2 cups milk (skim, 2% or complete milk)
- 8 ounces smoked gouda cheese OR sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 2 cups)
- 3-4 tablespoons sauce from the can of chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, relying how spicy you prefer it
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, plus extra to style
- Freshly floor black pepper
- For topping:
- 2 ounces smoked gouda (or sub sharp cheddar), shredded (about 1/2 cup)
- ¼ cup grated parmesan
- To garnish:
- Recent chopped parsley
Preheat oven to 375 levels F. Spray an 8×8 inch pan with nonstick cooking spray or grease with butter or oil.
Organize candy potatoes: Place sliced candy potatoes in three tight slanted rows as indicated within the photographs. You don’t need them to be overly tight, ensure you depart sufficient area so the candy potato slices are barely slanted.
Make the sauce: add in 3 tablespoons of butter and place over medium warmth. As soon as butter melts, whisk within the flour and prepare dinner for 10-20 seconds till a paste kinds, then very slowly add 2 cups of the milk, whilst you proceed to whisk away any lumps. You’ll must whisk fairly vigorously however it ought to easy out simply.
As soon as easy, deliver combination to a simmer for a couple of minutes, stirring on occasion till sauce thickens up a bit, just like a gravy. If it will get too thick, add in just a few tablespoons extra milk. Style sauce and add extra salt as wanted.
As soon as thick, flip off the warmth and stir in 2 cups shredded gouda cheese (reserving 1/2 cup for later), garlic powder and three tablespoons of the sauce from the can of chipotle chiles. Season with freshly floor salt and pepper, to style. After tasting the sauce, you may resolve if you wish to kick it up a notch and add in 1 extra tablespoon of the chipotle sauce. I undoubtedly advocate it!
Pour the sauce evenly over the candy potatoes to cowl them. Don’t fear, the sauce will get good and creamy whereas baking.
Cowl the pan with foil, then bake for 45 minutes-1 hour. The candy potatoes are completed when the center candy potatoes may be simply pierced with a fork.
As soon as they’re completed baking, take away the foil, sprinkle ½ cup remaining gouda cheese and 1/4 cup parmesan cheese on prime, then activate the broiler in your oven and broil on excessive for 1-2 minutes (watching fastidiously so they do not burn!) or till cheese is sweet and melted and barely golden brown. Take away from oven and garnish with contemporary chopped parsley. Get pleasure from!
As a substitute of gouda, be at liberty to make use of sharp cheddar cheese.
I believe including cooked chopped bacon to those potatoes could be superb, and even sprinkling just a few bacon bits on prime for added taste!
Serving: 1serving (based mostly on 8)Energy: 254calCarbohydrates: 19.4gProtein: 12.5gFats: 13.7gSaturated Fats: 9.4gFiber: 1.9gSugar: 4.5g
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Formidable Kitchen | Pictures by: Eat Love Eats
This publish was initially revealed on April 14th, 2019, and republished on November fifteenth, 2023.