In case you’re searching for a lightweight and refreshing salad that skips the lettuce however not the flavour, this No Lettuce Salad is your reply. Full of garbanzo beans, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, and a zesty dressing on a mattress of cottage cheese, it’s a satisfying and healthful salad that’s good for any meal.
Whether or not you’re having fun with this salad as a lightweight lunch or a facet dish, it’s a easy and nutritious possibility that’s something however boring. We’ve been making a model of this salad for YEARS once we’re hungry for veggies, however not searching for a standard lettuce salad. We really assume you’ll love this lettuce-free, flavor-packed salad as a lot as we do!
No Lettuce Salad Components
- Garbanzo beans: These give our salad a pleasant, hearty base and usher in some protein energy.
- Cherry tomatoes: These little gems usher in freshness and a touch of sweetness, plus they make the salad look vibrant.
- Purple onion: Provides a pointy and savory kick that takes the flavour up a notch.
- Mini cucumbers: They offer the salad that satisfying crunch all of us love and add a refreshing vibe.
- Balsamic vinegar: These items provides a little bit of candy and tangy goodness to our dressing, making it oh-so-tasty.
- Olive oil: It pairs completely with the balsamic vinegar for a easy but flavorful dressing.
- Recent lemon juice: This zesty addition brings a burst of citrusy freshness that brightens up the entire dish.
- Sea salt: Only a pinch of this magical seasoning enhances the flavors and makes every part style even higher.
- Freshly floor pepper: Slightly kick of spiciness that performs properly with all the opposite flavors.
- All the pieces bagel seasoning: That is the key ingredient that makes our salad distinctive and savory.
- Cottage cheese: It’s the creamy, protein-packed base that makes this salad satisfying and scrumptious.
Get our Prime 10 5-Star Recipes!
Be part of our e mail checklist for brand new recipes and BONUS: get our prime 10 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ recipes e-book!
Straightforward Ingredient Swaps
This salad is tremendous versatile! We’re all the time utilizing the veggies we now have available, so this recipe really is only one variation of a brilliant versatile salad. Straightforward ingredient swaps embody:
Cheese: we used 2% cottage cheese, however be happy to make use of any number of cottage cheese you’d like!
Veggies: any number of tomatoes or onion can be a simple swap for the cherry tomatoes and purple onion this recipe requires. Equally, you can too use any number of cucumber.
Canned beans: the garbanzo beans on this recipe add good taste and protein, however one other white bean like cannellini beans may also work.
Nuts & seasonings: we love the savory taste of every part bagel seasoning, however pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds or a chopped nut like almonds or pecans would additionally complement this recipe nicely.
Prime Ideas for No Lettuce Salad
Serve instantly or retailer individually: plate this salad with the cottage cheese if you happen to’re planning to serve it instantly, however if you happen to’re hoping to meal prep it for later, we advocate storing the veggies and dressing individually from the cottage cheese.
Make it your personal: don’t have all these veggies available? No drawback! This no lettuce salad is tremendous versatile. Take a look at a few of our simple substitutions above.
Methods to Serve This No Lettuce Salad
You possibly can serve this salad as a major meal or a facet. My household lately had this with grilled steak and baked potatoes and it was an ideal recent pairing. For dessert, strive an in-season fruit crisp reminiscent of cherry crisp or triple berry crisp.
As for how you can eat this salad itself, you possibly can completely take pleasure in it as is with a fork, BUT the dipping choices are additionally infinite, and a few of our favorites embody:
- Toasted slices of French bread
- Tortilla chips
This salad is finest made and served instantly, however if you happen to’re meal prepping or saving for later, we advocate retaining the recent elements on prime of the cottage cheese layer, and even higher, in a separate container.
By avoiding mixing the recent elements into the cottage cheese layer, you’ll maintain the beautiful look of this salad and keep away from the dairy separating from the moisture of the veggies.
Retailer in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 48 hours.
Pictures: images taken on this publish are by Ashley McGlaughlin from The Edible Perspective.