If you happen to’re searching for a simple and fast fish dinner with BIG flavors, attempt our Pan Seared Cod. Made with tender and succulent cod fish seared in butter and laced in a lemony butter piccata sauce. That is a kind of cod recipes you’ll be making for dinner so fairly often.
Seafood and Fish recipes are the reply to our busy weeknight dinners, and our fancy dinner cravings! There’s one thing about fish that appears like a delicacy–particularly whenever you’re a fish lover like us. Possibly it’s our Mediterranean background 🙂
The sweetness about cod fish is that it has a beautiful meaty texture, and it’s really easy to cook dinner. We’ve made a Baked Cod Recipe not too way back, and it’s succulent! You may also use it in our most viral recipe on Pinterest, this Mediterranean Baked Fish. It’s my grandpa’s recipe and it’s perfection.
Whereas you can too fry cod fish per this Fish Fry recipe, it’s going to take a couple of minutes longer because it’s a thick fish. You may likewise use it in tacos like our Mahi Mahi Tacos as a result of it has a semi agency texture.
Right this moment’s we’re highlighting cod recipes because the fish is so versatile. We’re making a lemon piccata like sauce, just like our Sockeye Salmon With Lemon Butter Sauce however barely lighter 🙂
Why You’ll LOVE Pan Seared Cod
- It’s fast and straightforward! Cooks in 20 minutes and requires no fussy tools or strategies!
- Cod fish is semi agency, but succulent so it holds on to the sauce completely.
- The flavors are AMAZING! Tremendous tasty and scrumptious cod recipe.
- You may serve it with fries, rice, pasta, Garlic Bread, salad and a lot extra!
- It’s nutritious and wealthy but feels tremendous gentle.
- You can also make it for a celebration simply because it holds properly.
- This cod recipe is one pot meal.
Components You’ll want
- Cod fish. Use recent or thawed frozen fillets of cod. You may also use pores and skin on or skinless as we’ve right here.
- Flour. We love seasoning our flour with salt, pepper and recent oregano.
- Capers. For tang and texture within the pan sauce.
- Butter. To sear the fish and eventually in the direction of the tip for thickening the sauce.
- Lemon. We use lemon slices, juice and zest of you like for final taste.
- Recent Oregano. You need to use thyme, parsley or a combo.
- Inventory/Wine combination. You need to use both or, or a combo of each to make the sauce.
- Oil. To assist sauté the fish.
- Salt and Pepper. Seasoning. You may nevertheless use paprika, garlic, Italian spices in the event you’d like.
Methods to Pan Sear Cod
- You’re going to start out with seasoning the cod fish on each side with simply salt and pepper. Thsi kind of fish could be very mildly flavored so it’s thought for our lemony buttery piccata sauce. And for that we flippantly season the fish itself as we depend on the sauce.
- In a shallow plate add the flour and season the flour with salt, pepper and recent oregano. This seasoning step is totally non-compulsory, and chances are you’ll use plain flour. We now have discovered that seasoned flour provides 1 minute to our course of, however elevates the flavour by the miles.
- Dredge the cod fillets, one after the other into the flour plate. Be certain to shake off any extra flour. It’s speculated to be flippantly coated solely.
- Preheat a heavy responsibility non stick skillet, we’ve used a ceramic dutch pan. Add 2 tablespoons of the butter and the oil. The oil permits the fish to cook dinner with out burning the skin.
- Keep away from over crowding the skillet when sautéing the fish. If you happen to’re making a considerable amount of this cod fish recipe, repeat this step in batches.
- Sauté the fish till it’s golden on the skin. The flour coating will assist it flip golden faster and can shield the fish from breaking up when flipping. The flour additionally primarily helps thicken our sauce within the subsequent step.
Make the Piccata Sauce
- As soon as each side of the cod fillets have turned golden, you’re prepared to start out the sauce. The fish doesn’t need to be essentially cooked by, as it’s going to cook dinner within the sauce.
- You’ll add within the inventory/wine combo or both or. Alongside you’ll add in lemon slices, recent oregano and drained capers. Then you definitely’ll deliver the sauce to a boil and decrease the warmth so the sauce can simmer.
- The liquid within the sauce has to cut back to about 50% and at that time you’re prepared so as to add within the remaining butter.
- Flip off the warmth completely and add within the chilly butter, one tablespoon at a time.
- Combine flippantly the butter into your entire sauce and because it melts, the sauce will thicken much more. At that time the fish ought to be absolutely cooked and the sauce prepared.
Pan Seared Cod
defrosted and seasoned flippantly with salt and pepper
all function flour
every salt and pepper
or to style
recent or 1 teaspoon dried.
you’ll be able to add 2 Tablespoons white wine to it
sprigs of recent oregano
or 1 teaspoon dried
Place the flour in a shallow plate and season with salt, pepper and the oregano.
Be certain the cod is dry, or pat dry with paper towels. Season the fish flippantly on each side.
Dredge each bit of cod loin into the flour combination and coat on each side.
Be certain to take away the cod and shake off any extra flour earlier than cooking.
Preheat a skillet over medium excessive warmth with the oil and butter, and add within the cod loins.
Sear for 3-4 minutes per aspect till golden. The fish wouldn’t be cooked by, simply seared with a golden crust.
Decrease the warmth to medium and add within the inventory, capers and lemon slices.
Convey to a boil and decrease the warmth to medium low, add within the herbs.
The sauce will thicken because it simmers. Prepare dinner for five minutes till the sauce is prepared.
Trun off the warmth and slowly add within the chilly butter one tablespoon at a time, mixing it within the sauce.
Serve the cod with additional sauce.
Pan Seared Cod Suggestions
- Purchase high quality cod fish, whether or not recent or frozen. If frozen, be certain that to thaw the fish earlier than cooking. You are able to do so in a single day within the fridge or on the counter for about 2 hours.
- You need to use pores and skin on or skinless cod fillets for this recipe.
- In case your fish feels moist (particularly in the event you’re utilizing frozen fish that is thawed), pat dry the fillets utilizing paper towels earlier than seasoning.
- Seasoning the flour flippantly with salt and pepper and oregano elevates the flavour tremendously.
- Keep away from crowding the pan when cooking the fish.
- The flour helps the fish not crumble aside as you flip it, and it thickens the sauce as properly.
- It is best to make use of a non stick skillet for this recipe.
- Flip the cod when it is golden, however not essentially cooked by. The fish will proceed to cook dinner within the sauce.
- Begin with the sauce when each side of the fish are golden.
- You need to use inventory solely, or white wine solely or a combo of each as a liquid for the sauce.
- Simmer the sauce on low till it begins to evaporate and thicken barely, and that is when it is prepared for the butter.
- To ensure that the butter to emulsify and thicken your sauce, you could flip off the warmth. And use chilly butter.
- Keep away from overcooking any fish basically, together with this recipe.
- You may do that Baked Cod Recipe in the event you love cod fish as a lot as we do!
What to Serve with Pan Seared Cod?
Any aspect dish works nice! Rice is ideal. Scoop the fish and sauce over Air Fryer Baked Potato. This Lemon Olive oil Pasta is simply the right combo in my view. Salads are one other nice possibility or simply bread.
Cod Recipe Variations
Do this scrumptious Baked Cod Recipe for a variation. Swap the herbs on this recipe, use rosemary or thyme as a substitute of oregano. Add a kick of spice by including in chilli flakes.
Methods to Retailer Leftover Cooked Cod?
Leftovers might be positioned in hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 3 days and reheated. You may reheat the fish in a microwave, or in a non stick skillet, including 2 tablespoons additional inventory per fish and sauce till heated by.
How have you learnt when cod is absolutely cooked?
As with all fish recipes, when the fish is opaque it is cooked by. Additionally when the fish flakes simply with a fork, it has cooked by. If in case you have a meat thermometer, you’ll be able to place it in the course of the fillet and it ought to be a minimum of 145 levels F.
Pan Seared Cod
Quantity Per Serving
Energy from Fats 243
% Each day Worth*
Saturated Fats 12g75%
Trans Fats 1g
Polyunsaturated Fats 4g
Monounsaturated Fats 8g
Ldl cholesterol 432mg144%
Vitamin A 1260IU25%
Vitamin C 69mg84%
* % Each day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie weight-reduction plan.